The Truth about Balayage
What is balayage?
Balayage is one of the new hottest trends right now in the beauty industry. Balayage is a free hand technique where the color is hand painted rather than using the traditional foiling or cap highlighting techniques. This technique allows for sun-kissed (NOT SUPER LIGHT) natural hair color, and a softer re-growth line. (Because balayage is not fully saturating the hair strand going from dark to light cannot always be done in one appointment.)
How is balayage applied?
Balayage is hand painted on to the surface of the hair, softer towards the root area not saturated through the section until the ends towards the tips of the hair. This creates the soft, natural look that will have a softer re-growth line that will not be as noticeable as it grows out.
As with anything there are stages to hair color. Everyone has different underlying pigments.
Black, dark or medium brown hair has a red undertone.
Light brown, dark blonde and medium blonde hair has an orange undertone.
Light blonde to pale blonde has a yellow undertone.
When we lighten your hair, your natural undertone is going to show through the color we achieve.
Highlighting/Color has limitations. Here is what we can do for you as a stylist:
1. We can bleach or lighten your hair to the palest color we can achieve (sometimes that may not be as light as you are hoping).
2. If the underlying pigments pulls through we can tone your hair with... green to cancel red, blue to cancel orange, and violet to cancel yellow. (Sometimes this makes the hair a bit darker if an ash tone is needed, muddy looking, or a little tinged to a red, green, or violet color. Note: toner only lasts 4-6 weeks, after that, you are back to your natural undertones... so keep coming back for your toner)
3. We can seal in your color with a treatment (this helps with fade-out, keeping your color long lasting, vibrant and shiny.)
What you can do at home to maintain your color:
1. Throw out your cheap products!! (Cheap products contain harsh chemicals that eat away at the molecules in your color. Why spend all that money, just to forfeit the desired look?!)
2. Sun naturally lightens hair. When your hair lightens, the natural undertones begin to pop out.
3. Don't do toners on yourself (drug store and beauty supply stores that YOU can buy color at, are not quality products... you will do more damage than good)
5. Buy products from your stylist (at home color treatment)... this will keep your color lasting longer and your hair looking shinier and healthier.
6. Be patient. You cannot build a house overnight! (Color takes time, or you will end up with damaged hair.)
All of these treatments, remedies, and color applications cost money and require commitment. If you have high expectations for your hair, take into account that the cost will be high as well. Your desired look, will most likely take multiple applications, be patient... and make sure you have the finances and time to achieve and keep up on your desired look.
We always offer consultations if you would like a price quote or to talk with a stylist about the process.
Parts of this information sheet where inspired by @vixenhair
Disclaimer: I, Hair by Christine and Co in no way, am affiliated with any of the photos above. These photos were found on "Google search" to showcase Khloe Kardashian's hair. They are for the sole purpose of explaining.
Balayage Release Form
RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS AND IDEMNITY AGREEMENT
I have read and understood the "The Truth about Balayage” Portion on the previous page prior to signing this document. I will follow any aftercare or procedures to ensure the best results. By signing this agreement I acknowledge that I am aware that the results can vary from person to person, depending on hair color, texture and underlying pigments that will become present during the lightening process. I cannot find the staff at Hair By Christine & co legally or financially responsible for the pre-chemical condition or final result (if not exact) of my hair after the service. If any concerns come about within the FIRST WEEK of my service I will call Hair by Christine & co and they will be responsible for resolving the issue promptly free of charge fully aware of my hair’s chemical boundaries.
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
We agree to give my most focused and undivided attention. We will be sure to maintain open communication through the appointment to ensure my client is aware of the process. After the service we will communicate with my client regarding the condition of the hair after the service, to be able to take any further steps to ensure optimum results.
We will address and resolve any issues as soon as possible. Unintentionally under processed sections of hair, reported within one week of hair service will be redone free of charge as soon as possible, unless other arrangements have been made in writing.